Sunday, December 2, 2012


On Saturday, my family and I laid my great grandmother Lois Bumstead to rest. She was born in 1921, so that made her 91 years old.  It was a beautiful ceremony. I played my violin at the church to honor her and to thank all who came to pay tribute to her. I was nervous because I wanted to do my best.  
The family met after the ceremony at Adiamo restaurant in Livonia, Michigan to reminisce about her life. I loved my great grandmother for her warmth and kindness. Today I learned so much more about who she was and gained an appreciation for the period of time she lived through.
To get a better understanding for the events that she witnessed, I did a little historical research on the web and put the following table together. She saw and lived through so much that I have to break the table up into two blog postings! This posting will cover years 1920 – 1977. My next posting will cover years 1978 – 2012.
My great grandmother lived through the greatest technology boom in human history. I can't even imagine a world without indoor plumbing, washing machines and computers, yet at one point in her life these things were all new.

Date
Event
US President
1920
Women earn the right to vote
Warren Harding - Rep.
1921
My great grandmother Lois Smith is born
1923
Frigidaire releases the first self-contained home refrigerator
1927
Lindbergh crosses the Atlantic
Calvin Coolidge – Rep.
1928
Amelia Earhart crosses the Atlantic
1929
Stock Market crashes
Herbert Hoover – Rep.
1930
Worldwide depression begins
1933
Franklin Delano Roosevelt begins "New Deal" program
Franklin D. Roosevelt – Dem.
1934
Adolf Hitler becomes Fueher of Germany
1935
Franklin D. Roosevelt introduces Social Security Act
1937
Dow Chemical invents plastic
1937
Hindenburg catches fire and explodes in New Jersey
1939
World War Two begins – Germany invades Poland
1940
Oldsmobile introduces first automatic transmission in cars
1941
Japan surprise attack on Pearl Harbor
1944
Normandy landings
1945
United Nations is formed
Harry Truman – Dem.
1945
U.S. Drops atomic bomb on Japan
1948
Cold War begins
1949
Soviet Union develops an atomic bomb
1950
Korean War
1952
First commercially available jet flight – BOAC - London
1954
Television overtakes radio in popularity
Dwight D. Eisenhower – Rep.
1954
U.S. Nautilus first nuclear submarine
1955
Black Americans boycott busses in Montgomery AL
1955
Supreme Court orders school desegregation
1955
CIA get involved in Vietnam
1957
Soviets launch Sputnik – first artificial satellite
1959
Soviets land the first manmade object on the moon
1960
Maiman develops and demonstrates first laser
1960
Civil Rights Movement begins
1961
President Kennedy launches Apollo manned moon project
John Kennedy – Dem.
1962
Cuban Missile Crisis
1963
U.S. President Kennedy is assassinated
1963
First McDonalds TV commercial airs
1965
U.S. begins sending troops to Vietnam
Lyndon Johnson – Dem.
1967
The Beatles release Sgt. Peppers album
1967
Texas Instruments builds a proto-type pocket calculator
1967
Amana introduces first countertop microwave oven
1968
Stanley Kubrick's 2001 Space Odyssey  hits theaters
1969
Apollo 11 first manned mission to land on the moon
1971
Pocket calculators become available retailing at $300
1970
U.S. Invades Cambodia
Richard Nixon – Rep.
1970
Home dishwashing units (dishwashers) become affordable
1972
Magnavox release the first home video game console
1973
BIC introduces its first disposable lighter
1974
Richard Nixon resigns over Watergate
Gerald Ford – Rep.
1976
United States celebrates its bicentennial
1976
Viking 1 & 2 land on Mars
1977
Atari release the Atari 2600 video game console
Jimmy Carter – Dem.
1977
Star Wars hits movie theaters

I would really love to hear from you, so drop me a note at actionheroeswanted@gmail.com and let me know how you are doing!

-B

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bailey,
    It's great to see you following in your great grandmother's spirit. It's also wonderful to see what a good person you are becoming. My wish is that you always remember the elders in your life and how special you are to everyone who knows you.
    I will friend you and follow your blog.
    I am sorry for your Grandma's passing, it sounds like you have some amazing memories, treasure them as life lessons in everything you do.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete